With the ending of Breaking Bad on the horizon, I decided to re watch the entire show to get me up to date again. From Jesse and Walter cooking their shitty broken camper van all the way up to the opening of Vamos Pestos, it’s been a hell of a ride. In this post, I will talk about everything I love about Breaking Bad and why giving the ultimate top five list
5. Walter White/Bryan Cranston. What a better way to start the list off is with the contrast between Walter White and Hal from Malcolm in the middle. Malcolm in the Middle was my childhood and watching Bryan Cranston now, kind of extends my childhood. It’s like the development of my younger years into my teenage years. From the bright wittiness about Hal to the dark grittiness of Walt, shows how much my life has changed. I love this actor and he deserves so much more.
4. How everyone hates Skyler. Face it, Skyler is a bitch. Every time I start a conversation with someone about Breaking Bad it always ends up as, “Skyler is a whore”. Ever since she had sex with Ted, I hate her guys. She had an affair while her husband had cancer and somehow Walter is fine with this. Walter is a push over when it comes to Skyler! Eugh, she makes my blood boil. I wish Walter just let her drown in the pool. That would have been the best thing to have happened mid season.
3. “This isn’t meth”. Every episode has that specific one line that categorises the entire 50 minutes. “Wanna cook?”, “Say my name” and “Well Heil Hitler Bitch” are to name a few from the vast list of epic one liners from this show. These one lines are the reasons why Breaking Bad is so unique. They just know how to make the perfect show.
2. Gustavo. Or as my friends call him, Obama, is a small petite man who has the craziest personality in the whole show. For the first time we meet him in Los Polos Hermanos, he looks like a generic fast food franchisee with his stressed look on his face and targeting his staff but in the last second where we see him turn into Harvey Dent (Batman reference), he has changed so much. We see this small man wipe out an entire drug cartel and not to forget the famous box cutter episode where he slices the throat of one of his innocent employees as he slowly treads closely to Hank and the rest of the DEA. I know he’s a jackass and fits the generic racist catagory as he is the only black guy and he sells chicken and meth, but I love him and his quirkiness. Without him, season 3 would have been boring!
1. Dark Humour. If you haven’t caught on yet, I love dark gritty suspense movies and breaking Bad is just perfect for a person of my interest. I love the fun montages with happy feel good music in the background whereas the montage video resembles the complete opposite attitude. Like in series one, episode 6(?), the montage of Jesse pushing meth in slums of America while a generic elevator music-esque song plays in the background. It is this sarcastic humour that I love the most about this show. The whole humour in season 5 when Jesse convinces Badger and Skinny P to try cocaine and they keep rambling on about zombies and zombie games. There has been many (MANY) times where I have this exact same conversation and with Breaking Bad using this similar conversation, strengthens my love for it as it resembles my same characteristics.
So to conclude, I love Breaking Bad. If you haven’t watched it, I’m sorry for spoiling some stuff but ah well. With this show not being played on TV over here in UK, I find myself having to splurge my money on buying expensive boxsets so I’m just saying, someone needs to start showing this on UK television!